Thomas (Tom) L. Canary, Jr. joined KWA in November 2021 as a Senior Attorney. Mr. Canary concentrates his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, replevin and creditors’ rights.
Prior to joining KWA, Tom was the recipient of the 2009 President’s Award from the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (now National Creditors Bar Association). He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the NCBA, is co-chair of its Education Committee and is immediate past co-chair of the NCBA Bankruptcy Section. Tom has served as a subcommittee member to the American Bankruptcy Institute regarding recommendations to changes in the Bankruptcy Code and Rules. He also is a Fellow in the American Bankruptcy College, Class of 2021.
As an authority on consumer matters, Tom is the current author and editor of Kentucky Collections published by Thompson-Reuters. Additionally, he is a frequently lectures at seminars and CLEs on bankruptcy and creditor’s rights. His list of audiences includes the American Bankruptcy Institute/Midwest Bankruptcy Section, the University of Kentucky School of Law, the Northern Kentucky Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association, the National Association of Chapter Thirteen Trustees and the National Creditors Bar Association.
When not practicing law, Tom enjoys traveling with his wife and two adult children, scuba diving and playing golf.
- JD, University of Kentucky College of Law (1984)
- BS Economics (with Honors), University of Kentucky (1981)
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- State of Indiana
- State of Ohio
- State of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- United Stated District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- United Stated District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United Stated District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United Stated District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United Stated District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United Stated District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- National Creditors Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bankruptcy College